« Home | News from Lake Michigan » | 58 Days Home and Looking Up » | 55 Todays Toward Tomorrow » | 49 Days and Counting on More » | 40 Days and Nights » | 33 Days Home » | Life is a Hurricane - Day 26 » | And in other news - Day 20 » | If you feel sorry for yourself - Day 17 » | The More Things Change...Day 13 » 

Sunday, November 13, 2005 

All About Arithmatic

Musings before morning to begin.

Most people count years. I have come to appreciate days and we've been back from Seattle now for 77 pretty good ones. When you realize how fragile life can be, it matters that much more, or at least it does to me. I think most prefer not to think about it because it would be hard to live a normal life, and, as I think about it, that's quite true. The sun will come up in the morning is sure enough, but will one's world be like?


My assistant at work has been out of the office for most of several weeks helping her mother who has had stomach surgery for cancer. There are no medical studies on the subject, but I'm sure that the cause has to be children. I've been able to hire a temporary person to help with related work. She came to Atlanta after Katrina. She was to have started at a law firm there the day of the flood. Good people and families, all learning to cope.

And in other news, Courtney has been accepted to attend a semester in Peru beginning in January. She will be in Cuzco, up in the Andes about 40 miles from the Incan ruins of Machu Picchu. That's a long way away.

John continues to do well. He will have his next bone marrow biopsy next Friday, which will be 180 days from his transplant, half a year, if you will.

Pay checks pay the rent, but the real reward for work is health insurance. That's the truth and most with it take it for granted. They shouldn't because those without health insurance do not. I happen to be the rarest when it comes to such things, having two sets of coverage.

John will drop off my employer's policy when he turns 23 in February. My early retirement policy, however, continues until he is 25 if he remains a full-time student. John has hinted at graduate school - two majors and a minor aren't enough - and it looks like that might be in the cards.

After he reaches 25, I can purchase up to 36 months of the same coverage for him under the COBRA laws. Somewhere then, before he is 28, John will have to get a real job, with his own insurance. That will be just over 5 years and if he has had no relapse, he should be covered, even if preexisting conditions are excluded. Days become years, if all goes well, but health insurance needs to be there every morning.

Hi Randy Cadenhead, you have a nice blog. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on bonsai plant care when I found your page. Your site is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on bonsai plant care then drop by the site above and check it out.

Hi Randy Cadenhead...Wow! While I was searching for info on money tree bonsai I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for money tree bonsai. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about money tree bonsai.

Hi Randy Cadenhead, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on japanese bonsai when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for japanese bonsai. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about japanese bonsai at the site above.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Randy Cadenhead
  • From Atlanta, Georgia
  • My son John was diagnosed in November of 2004 with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). Since then, he underwent three rounds of chemotherapy and received a bone marrow transplant in Seattle. This site is about his experience, as seen through his father's eyes. Links to John's website and to his own live journal are below.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates